Check out these holiday tips from our sister organization IMPACT Personal Safety Los Angeles (www.impactpersonalsafety.com).
The holidays can be a wonderful time. All the lights, food, and shopping lists can be distracting and make us easy targets. Here are a few common-sense happy holiday survival tips:
- Think about where your wallet is: don't shoulder through crowds or stop to watch carolers with an open purse.
- Don't carry more than you can handle. It's tempting to get it all done in one trip but being an overburdened shopper can make you an easy mark.
- Have a plan of attack for your shopping, then breathe and let it go if things are too nutty when you get to the mall. Stress causes us to lose sight of the larger picture whether it's the meaning of the holiday or the dynamics around us.
- Many parties feature flowing alcohol. Have a designated driver and know your limits. Even with mistletoe, it's OK to set boundaries. It can be easier to take on both sides when it's done with respect.
- If pressures of gift giving, meal making and holiday visits press your boundaries, remember the Magic Formula: I feel-when you-would you please? Eg. "I feel overwhelmed when you leave your sister's gifts for me to wrap. Would you please wrap them yourself or ask me if I mind helping you next time?" Remember, it works in reverse too: "I feel so lucky to have such a caring brother. You can help me clean up the kitchen anytime!"